Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Five Simple Things That Make Me Happy

Hello everyone! Something that I have to constantly remind myself is – being happy is not walking around every day grinning ear to ear, jumping around. Sometimes it is, but other times it is just seeing something that makes you feel a little better than you did before. Here are some of the simplest things in my life that are always guaranteed to do just that.



Fresh Air
Not particularly where I live, but where my boyfriend lives, is surrounded by fields. When I start to get a bit stressy or particularly pissy, one thing that will nearly always calm me down is to go outside into a nearby field and just walk around for a bit. Just being outside in the calm and the still really helps to clear my head. I don’t know whether it’s the exercise from walking or just being outside with nature, but being there genuinely helps me to breathe and relax; and more often than not, my problems don’t seem that big when I walk back through the door.

Having a Cuddle
This is one of the best things that I could possibly do when I’m feeling low to boost up my spirits. I honestly don’t know whether it’s a genuine chemical or hormonal thing, but I always feel so much better when I have a cuddle. Just being wrapped up makes me feel so safe, having a cuddle will immediately make me feel loved and happier. It doesn’t need to be particularly long or heartfelt, but just knowing that you have someone there for you will literally make me feel like I can do anything.

Cutting Back on Alcohol
As a student, alcohol is absolutely everywhere; you literally can’t get away from it. I’m not going to say in any way that I don’t drink at all, or I don’t get drunk, or I haven’t gotten myself into a few messes regarding alcohol in the past, because that wouldn’t be the truth; I have. But coming out the other side from a bit of a tricky period involving a few of those messes, I’ve made the conscious decision to stop drinking alcohol to the excessive level that seems to be rammed down our throats in (especially British) culture. I mean, I still have an occasional glass of wine on an evening, or if I’m seeing my girls then I'll have a little bit more – but not anywhere near to the extent that I used to, where I can find myself in a dangerous situation. Since I’ve made that decision I’ve noticed that I’ve become more level headed, more thoughtful and generally just happier!

Den and Film Splurge
If I don’t have anything planned for the day, personally I find it a bit depressing. At uni I live my life with so many people surrounding me constantly, that there is nearly always something to do. That being said, life can get a bit hectic and having the ultimate FOMO, I’m one that would always rather be busy doing something. I try and have at least one thing to do every day which helps me to feel like I’ve achieved something for the day, like it hasn’t been wasted. When I’m feeling particularly down though having an always on the go life is just not what I want or need. Which is where the Den and Film splurge comes in. Just taking a couple of hours during the day to just chill and watch films can be so resting for the soul, even watching a crappy film wrapped in my duvet like a fajita if I can't be bothered making a full on den can much help on a bad day.

Eat Something Green
Sometimes if I’m feeling sad or just a bit low, doing something as simple as eating something really really healthy is one of the things that makes me feel so much better. It makes me feel like I’m taking care of myself, and although eating a kilo of chocolate followed by 15 bags of crisps may seem more appealing when I’m sad, eating a big salad or drinking a really green smoothie will make me feel 1000x better and more happy about myself. Its probably more psychological than anything else and I'll probably go and eat the chocolate and crisps at some point, but even attempting to make my body healthier makes me so much happier than if I didn’t even try.

What’re some of your favourite ways to be happy? Comment below and let me know :)


Don’t forget to follow me on bloglovin!

3 comments:

  1. I like this post and your tips are very helpful! I agree with fresh air, it helps to clear your head and have fresher mind to think! Great post.

    Sonam - http://fashtasticflare.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!! Yeah fresh air is so important, I think being outside even for an hour is so important!!xx

      Delete